Saturday, 12 April 2014

Trip to Southport 12-04-2014


7656Kew P&RSouthport, Lord Street stop HCPR2Arriva NW&W
2243Southport, Chapel Street (Stop EA)Hillside, o/s Alma Court43Arriva NW&W
3090Hillside, opp Nixons LaneBirkdale, York Road (NW-bound)49Arriva NW&W
19035Birkdale, York Road (SE-bound)Little Altcar, opp Royal HotelX2Stagecoach M & SL
3045Little Altcar, o/s Royal HotelAinsdale, opp Woodvale Road47Arriva NW&W
3044Ainsdale, opp Woodvale RoadSouthport, Monument (Stop CB)44Arriva NW&W
2252Southport, opp The WellingtonHighpark, adj Roe Lane43Arriva NW&W
3086Highpark, High Park Place (E-bound)Crossens, on Rufford Road49Arriva NW&W
15473Crossens, on Preston New RoadSouthport, Monument (Stop CF)2XStagecoach M & SL

Today we decided to re-visit Southport. We checked the weather the night before and it seemed that the better weather would be either to the South or the West. We gave Matthew a short list of place to go and from the list he chose to go to Southport. Other than to check the weather research consisted of looking at a relatively new fleet list of Arriva NW&W buses allocated to Southport. The main changes were the reduction of Marshall Bodied Darts which had been replaced with newer Plaxton bodied Darts from elsewhere. There had also been some newer double decker delivered ex Arriva London. Matthew got up around 10:15 and had toast and orange juice for breakfast. We set off just after 11:30 and we drove onto the A5035 and then onto Stanley Matthews Way. We carried on North on the A500 and then onto the Northbound M6. We carried on North up to the M58 and then we turned West. Off the M58 we did the northbound A570 up to Ormskirk where we stopped for dinner at Morrisons. We visited the toilet and then for dinner Matthew had an English breakfast washed down with a cup of Coca Cola. After we had finished eating we headed back to the car and carried on towards Southport along the A570. Just before we hit town we turned into the Kew park and ride site and parked up to wait for the bus into town. We didn't have to wait for long before we saw a Marshall Dart approaching. When it got closer we saw it was dud Arriva NW&W 7656.

Arriva NW&W 7656 at Kew park and ride
We flashed our park and ride ticket and sat down near the back. The bus set off through the back streets of Southport following required Arriva NW&W 2241 into town on a #43 service. We approached the railway station from Derby Road. We turned onto London Street and the bus set down near to Lord Street. As we got up to get off Matthew took a picture of the inside of the bus.

Inside Arriva NW&W 7656
7656 was the first ever Southport Marshall Dart Matthew rode on back in December 2010. The plan was now to go and get a Saveaway ticket and to start riding on buses. As we were going to get the ticket from the railway station Matthew mis-behaved massively and we had to wait for a short while before we continued. We got the tickets and walked around into Lord Street where we saw required Arriva NW&W 2246 on a #46 service. We carried on walking to Eastbank Street to catch a bus. There was a choice of 2 buses required Arriva NW&W 2624 on the #42 and dud 2243 on the #43 to Carr Lane. We chose to do Arriva NW&W 2243 but we did not know it was dud at the time.

Arriva NW&W 2243 in Southport
We got on and flashed our tickets and sat down towards the back of the bus. The bus pulled off and and went out of town towards Carr Lane. The #43 takes a route through the back streets via Duke Street and Guilford Road and we eventually turned right onto Carr Lane where the bus terminates. We got up to get off the bus and Matthew took a picture inside Arriva NW&W 2243.

Inside Arriva NW&W 2243
From where we were the were a choice of service to catch. On Carr Lane on the opposite side of the Road we could catch either the #43 or #46 into Southport. From Guilford Road we could do either #49 towards Southport or either the #49 to Woodvale or Formby. From the main road we could catch either the X2 or #47 towards Southport or the same service toward Formby. We went onto the Liverpool Avenue to see if there was a Southbound bus due. There wasn't anything for at least 15 minutes so we decided to walk back to the original stop to see if there was a Southport bound #49 service. As we got back to the stop we could see a bus approaching in the distance.As it got closer we saw it was Arriva NW&W 3090.

Arriva NW&W 3090 in Carr Lane
We got on the bus and sat down near the back. A quick check of the list revealed that this bus was dud. We had previously been on this bus back in April 2012. Three buses traveled on and all of them dud so far... How unlucky was that! We decided to get off at Birkdale and catch a Southbound X2 as we hadn't passed it. We got held up at the level crossing and whilst we were waiting Matthew got a picture of the empty back seat behind us.

Inside Arriva NW&W 3090
Eventually the train passedand we carried on North. We got off and we could see the X2 double decker in the distance so we crossed over the road and quickly made our way to the stop opposite. As it got closer we saw it was required Stagecoach Lancashire 19035.

Stagecoach Lancashire 19035 in Birkdale
At last a new bus for the day! We got on and sat down upstairs, the bus was quite well filled so there didn't seem like an opportunity to take a good picture inside this bus. The bus headed South down the A565 through Ainsdale and onto the Formby by-pass. There was a quick run along the by-pass through open countryside before we turned right to head into Formby. We headed into what looked like the edge of a small town and I was expecting there to be more to it. Rather than being built up it looked spacious with all the businesses and restaurants looking quite high end. We seemed to be heading out of town again so when I saw a large petrol station I decided to get off here so we had somewhere to visit. We got off the bus and we watched it go off into the distance. Directly behind 19035 was required Arriva NW&W 3033 on a Liverpool bound #47 service. We visited the Texaco petrol station and Matthew used the toilet before we brought some Coca Cola and chocolate. When we had done we left the petrol station and crossed the road to see when the next Northbound bus was due. The next bus was going to be a #47 and it was due in a couple of minutes. We could see it approaching and it was Arriva NW&W 3045.

Arriva NW&W 3045 in Formby
We got on the bus and we sat down near the back. A quick check of list revealed it was a required bus. We decided to do this bus up to Woodvale and get off to see what was working up behind us on either a #44 or X2. In the meantime Matthew photographed the empty back seat

Inside Arriva NW&W 3045
The bus carried onto the Formby bypass and up into Woodvale where we got off the bus. We considered having a picnic at this bus stop as it had a shelter and seat, but Uncle Dave had spotted a #44 service coming out of one of the side street as we came North. Sure enough less than a minute later we saw a bus approaching. I asked Matthew if he wanted to do the bus as it was a Pulsar and he said yes. As it got closer we saw it was Arriva NW&W 3044.

Arriva NW&W 3044 in Woodvale
We got on the bus and sat down near the back. A quick check of the list revealed that this bus was dud too. Coincidentally this was the first Southport Pulsar we rode on back in December 2010. We decided to do this into Southport so that we could go and check buses out in a different direction. The bus carried on North up to Ainsdale before turning onto Station Road. The bus carried on North Eastwards across the roundabout onto Segars Lane. The bus carried on for a few mile in more or less a straight line, out of the built up areas of Southport and past Dobbies garden centre here we were overtaken by Arriva NW&W 2728 on a #300 before passing Arriva NW&W 2247 going the other way on a #300. We appeared by the hospital and then joined onto the A570 to head into town. We ran parallel to the A570 for a short while before heading back onto Eastbank Street. Matthew then took a picture of the empty back seat of the bus

Inside Arriva NW&W 3044
There was a quick river change and then the bus carried on. We turned into Lord Street then got off the bus. matthew indicated that he wanted to head back towards Eastbank Street so we set off in that direction. As we walked along Lord Street we saw required Arriva NW&W 2256 on a #49 to Woodvale. On the end of Eastbank Street was parked National Holidays coach NH09 DRH, and Matthew got a picture of it.

National Holidays NH09 DRH in Southport
We carried on down Eastbank Street and Matthew wanted to visit Poundland. We had a quick walk around Poundland where we brought some more chocolate and pop, and Matthew said hello to a member of staff. We then headed across the road to possibly catch a #43 or #46 to Carr Lane. We had just missed one bus and the seemed to be a gap in the service. On the other side of the road we saw Arriva NW&W Marshall Dart 7654 on a #42 to Crossens.

Arriva NW&W 7654 in Southport
We were considering having a picnic when we saw a Paxton Dart coming up the road. We decided to cross over and see if it was a required on. As it got closer we saw it was required Arriva NW&W 2252 on a #43 to High Park.

Arriva NW&W 2252 in Southport
We got on the bus and as we sat down mum called to say she was going to go back to Kew and move the car into town. That helped to decided how we were going to finish off the day. The plan was now going to be do this bus up to High Park for #49 to Crossens. We would then have a quick visit to the toilet and then back down to Southport on the next interesting bus. The bus went onto Lord Street and we passed required Arriva NW&W 2248 on a #44 service. We also passed required Arriva NW&W 2722 about to set off on a #300 service to Liverpool. The bus set off out of town though the back streets and crossing over the railway at Meols Cop. we then carried onto to the end of High Park Road where the bus terminated. We got up and Matthew got a picture of the empty bus as we got off.

Inside Arriva NW&W 2252
We also took another picture of the outside of the bus too before we crossed over roe Lane to catch the next #49 to Crossens.

Arriva NW&W 2252 in High Park
We considered another bus stop picnic bu the bus was due in 2 minutes. it wasn't long before we saw the bus approaching in the distance. As it got closer we saw it was required Arriva NW&W 3086.

Arriva NW&W 3086 in High Park
We got on the bus and sat down. The bus waited for short while, it must have been a little early before continuing into Churchtown. The bus turned into Botanic Road and we passed the site of an old factory and crossed over where the old Southport to Preston railway would have run. The road became Rufford Road and then bus continued on to the end where the service terminates. As we got up to get off Matthew took a picture inside the now empty Arriva NW&W 3086.

Inside Arriva NW&W 3086
We walked down to the toilet which have now become pay toilets. Matthew used the toilet whilst I checked out the bus times at the adjacent bus stop. There was a 2X due any minute now. Matthew came out of the toilet and almost immediately we saw the 2X double decker approaching. It got closer and we saw it was required Stagecoach Lancashire 15473.

Stagecoach Lancashire 15473 in Crossens
We got on the bus and we sat down upstairs. We saw an unidentified Cumfybus Solo on a #40 to Southport and we also saw dud 2239 on a #44 service which was terminating. The bus carried on South down the main road into town from the North. The bus was quite well filled so Matthew took a picture of some seat just in front of him on the opposite side of the bus.

Inside Stagecoach Lancashire 15473
We gave mum a call to tell her that we were on our way so that she could move the car to somewhere nearby to the bus stop. The bus carried on South and we arrived in Lord Street and we got of the bus near to the monument. Mum had just arrived in a nearby street and we walked over to the car to get in. Mum decided to drive home so I sat in the front passenger seat. Waiting for us were sausage rolls and Matthew had a small bottle of Irn Bru. We turned into Eastbank Street and we went out of town along the A570. We drove around Ormskirk and though onto the M58. After traveling a short distance East we joined the Southbound M6. We traveled South through the roadworks at Thelwall Viaduct it was Carvers YN06 NYT started to rain. After nearly missing the turning we passed Z carz M372 NWN. joined the Southbound A500. We joined the Eastbound A50 and we passed ABC Supreme minibus YU02 GZG going the other way. We came off the A50 at Longton where we stopped to check out what was present at Z Carz. it appeared to be a minibus day today with the following buses sighted. Towards the back of the site was Mercedes minibus S952 VMY.

Z Carz S952 VMY in Longton
Next to that was airport transfer bus DL03 HHU.

Z Carz DL03 HHU in Longton
At the very back of the site was LDV minibus DS51 ZJU.

Z Carz DS51 ZJU in Longton
At the front was Volkswaggon minibus OV05 WSW.

Z Carz OV05 WSW in Longton
Last but not least was another VW minibus, S973 OVP.

Z Carz S973 OVP in Longton
We turned into Willow Row and the only bus there was long term SORN LDV minibus T408 JUX. We headed back onto the A50 which we did back to Heron Cross before heading though Blurton On Beaconsfield Avenue we saw 40003 on a #23 and unusually Newcastle based double decker 37157 on the last #22 to Longton of the day. We got home at 19:00. For a late tea we had bangers and mash with carrots followed by a cake bar. Matthew then chilled out on his computer until bedtime around 00:15...Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment